Climate Week 4th – 10th March [Infograph]

Home / Roman News / Company News / Climate Week 4th – 10th March [Infograph]
Climate Week 4th – 10th March [Infograph]

Climate Week 2013 Infograph

Transcript of Above Infograph – Climate Week 4th – 10th March

With many of us now switched on to being green, as a British company and manufacturer this is something we are also very conscious of. This week is Climate Week, so it’s an ideal opportunity to talk about what we are doing to reduce our impact on the environment, and to also give you some useful hints and tips on what you can do…

To help us track and improve our environmental impact we hold ISO14001 accreditation. We gained this in 2009 and have implemented a number of new procedures and changes across the company:

We segregate all our waste into recyclables and non-recyclables. In 2012 we received praise from our waste management company for our achievements in this area. We managed to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill down to only 7%, with the other 93% all being recycled. We now aim to improve this by a further 2.5% this year.

TIP: With councils now helping us to recycle by collecting waste and recyclables separately, you can do you bit more easily. We recommend keeping a separate box for recyclables next to your kitchen bin, so you are not tempted to dispose of recyclables in you main bin.

To reduce on the hazardous waste we output, we use methylene chloride in the manufacture of shower trays, we then filter all of the used chloride which in turn will then be continuously recycled back into the process.

TIP: Cut down on the amount of chemicals that you wash down the plug hole when cleaning, by choosing natural alternatives which include bio-degradable materials. You can even make your own all-purpose cleaner – mix ½ cup vinegar and ¼ cup baking soda into 2 litres of water, for a totally natural solution.

All our products are package in recycled cardboard which is recyclable – the use of plastic shrink wrapping was eliminated some time ago.

TIP: Try to reuse carrier bags at the supermarket so you are not using new ones each time. Most supermarkets also have a point where you can recycle your used plastic bags, so they don’t go to landfill.

All our company drivers have completed a SAFED driving course which helps them to drive in a more fuel efficient way, to reduce the vehicle’s carbon output. We also replaced all company vehicles so that all company cars emit less than 125 grams of CO2’s per kilometre.

TIP: If you would like to learn how to drive in a fuel efficient way visit the Energy Saving Trust website for some useful hints and tips.

Our range of Shower Valves are innovatively designed to offer uncompromised performance, whilst reducing water consumption to save money on your energy bills and to reduce the amount of water wasted each use.

Did you know: The water we use for washing ourselves – whether it’s washing our hands, hair or cleaning our teeth, uses up about a third of our home water supply.

Good Resources: If you are looking to install water efficient products for the home, visit The Water Label website, which holds a library of products which offer optimum performance, whilst saving wasted water. Alternatively, if you are looking for quick fixes on how to save water, check out the Bathroom Manufacturer’s Association’s top water saving tips.

TIP: Reduce wasted water by turning down or switching off the shower when shampooing your hair, by not running the tap when brushing your teeth, and by putting a plug into the sink when washing your face or shaving.

Our range of Shower Enclosures and Bath Screens feature Roman Ultra Care Pre-coated Glass Protection, which makes cleaning easy, by preventing dirt, grime and limescale sticking to the glass – eliminating the need to use harsh chemicals and reducing the amount of water wasted during the cleaning process.

TIP: If you don’t have glass protection on your existing enclosure or bath screen, you can build up the protection over time with a product such as our Roman Ultra Care.

If you’d like to read more about how we work towards reducing our impact on the environment, you can read our Ecodentials (our Environmental Credentials).